The morning of Valentine's Day, I woke up to the sound of Jackson screaming in pain! I called his doctor who recommended we take him to the ER. Mike gave Jax a blessing and we headed to the hospital. On our way to Alta View Hospital, Jax began throwing up, which indicated that he probably had an appendicitus. The doctors decided to give him some morphine for the pain, and when they gave him a shot for the IV, he didn't even cry! He just looked down at his arm and said, "Oh look, there's my blood" I always knew he was a tuff little guy, but I never expected that!
After an x-ray and ultrasound, the doctors determined that he did have an appendicitus, and sent us to Primary Children's Hospital for surgery. We met grandma Linda at the hospital, and since Jackson had puked all over his favorite little dog, grandma bought him another one to cuddle up with. I could tell he was happy to have her there to be with him and so was I.
After waiting and worring for a while, another visitor showed up, and in walked Chris Dayton - our hometeacher. He brought Jax some balloons and toys, which brought a great big smile to his cute little face. It was so nice of him to take time out of his day to check up on us and let us know he cared. A short time later, the doctor decided to do a CT scan. When the results came back the doctor said, "Good news - he does not need surgery, he has an inteseception of the bowls, and we can fix that by giving him an "air enima." With some relief, we took him in for the procedure which ended up being very horrific and incredibly painful for Jax. The nurses told him he was being so good that he was going to get the patient of the year award... that was until they pumped so much air up his little bottom that he began punching the x-ray machine in excruciating pain. Unfortunately, the procedure didn't work and we were told he would need emergency surgery. But at least he didn't have to have his appendix removed right ... Wrong! After a closer look at the CT scan, they noticed there was build up in his appendix and they decided to go ahead and remove it to avoid an additional surgery down the road. So, bad had gone to good, and then to worse. The doctors warned us of the possibilities they may find during surgery. There was a possibility of the bowl rupturing, or becoming ischemic, which they indicated could lead to death. If the bowl had become ischemic they would remove the damaged portion and piece it back together. This of course can lead to several other problems. Needless to say, Mike and I were terrified for our sweet little boy. With tears rolling down my face, Jax looked in my eyes and said, "Its okay mom, I'll be alright." I knew I needed to show more faith and that Heavenly Father would take care of him. The Anasthesioligist let him choose the flavor of gas he would breath, and he was excited when he gave him the option of bubble gum! We gave him a kiss and they headed into surgery.
While Mike and I were waiting, my little brother Landon walked in with pizza and a rose for me to wish me a "Happy Valentine's Day." He was so thoughtful and sweet to just take initiative to help us out and be there to help consol and support us.
The Surgeon came in an hour later and let us know that everything turned out fantastic and it was the best possible outcome we could hope for. The nurses said he was the sweetest little boy they ever had to wake up. They said that most kids his age wake up screaming and throwing a fit. But whent hey woke up Jax he said "Hi", and they asked how he was doing, to which he replied, "umm, I'm doin' good." They asked he if wanted to see his mom and dad, and he simply said, "oh, sure." He was very polite and always said thanks to all the doctors and nurses.
It was a sleepless night, but he got up and walked around the next morning, watched some movies, ate slushies, and welcomed several visitors. With each friend or family member, came lots of love and get well gifts. (Wyatt & Sams mommy spoiled him greatly!) We were told we would be there 4-5 days, but he was recovering so well, we were able to leave after the 3rd day.
We were so blessed that he was recovering so well, and that we had so many friends and family members to help take care of Kiley (mainly Mike's sister Kris) and offer support. My friends Kristy and Natalie brought us dinner that night, and our friends the Cuthbert's and Heilner's brought him some home-made treats. Many great neighbors called to check on us, and Jackson's primary teacher, Bro. Stevens called to see how he was doing and then brought him some chocolates to help him get better. Even Opa drove all the way down here to spend the evening with him.
I hope Jackson realized how much he is loved by all who know him, and that Heavenly Father answered his prayers and is watching over him. I am so grateful that my little superman is doing so well, and that the prayers offered in our behalf, were answered.



Monday, February 18, 2008
Valentine's Day at Primary Children's Hospital
Posted by Anonymous at 4:19 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
We are so glad that everything turned out great. Jackson really is an amazing little guy. I am so glad that he and Barrett are friends!
Val...I had no idea! I am so glad that everything is ok. He is such a brave cute little boy!
What a tough little boy! I can't believe both Jackson and Barrett had surgery while we were gone!
Post a Comment