Friday, April 11, 2008

President's Message - Conference

April 2008 Relief Society Presidency Message

Along with Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter, there is one other special event twice a year that I look forward to with an equal amount of excitement as my favorite holidays. Believe it or not, it is General Conference. As a child I looked forward to it because it meant that I didn’t have to put on my church clothes - instead I could “watch church” on TV wile playing the Conference BINGO game I received from primary the week before. Most of my siblings and I had our Skittles eaten before we made it to the second session, nevertheless, we still had fun. Conference weekend usually included a trip to our grandparents’ homes for a delicious dinner and fun with my cousins. Back then, I viewed conference as a bit of a “day off” from “regular” church. Well, things have changed a bit for me since my childhood days. Yes, we still play Conference BINGO, visit grandparents, and enjoy a delicious meal with our family, but now Conference weekend is no longer viewed as a “day off”, but rather a time to be fully engaged and immersed in the gospel. I recall President Yadon once saying, "Three of the most important meetings we can attend twice a year, are Ward, Stake, and General Conferences.” I think it is an incredibly special blessing and opportunity for us to be able to hear the council of the Lord through our leaders within the church. Elder Lowell M. Snow, of the Seventy, once said, “This very general conference is a modern Liahona, a time and place to receive inspired guidance and direction that prospers us and helps us follow God’s path through the more fertile parts of mortality.” I love that he likened conference to a modern Liahona. Conference is like a compass in our lives and if we simply listen with an open mind and heart, through the Comforter, our prayers can be answered and we will come to know the will of our Heavenly Father. He will guide and direct us.
I am grateful to have had the opportunity to listen to General Conference last week as well as sustain our new beloved prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, his counselors, and other leaders. I give thanks to my Heavenly Father daily for our leaders, both local and general. I am appreciative for the messages delivered - they touched my heart and strengthened my testimony. I look forward to reviewing these messages often and striving to apply the council in my life.
I know that our Savior Jesus is at the head of this church, and that His chosen servants are guiding us back to our Heavenly Fathers arms. He has blessed us with a Prophet, General Authorities, and other leaders who lead and guide us in these latter days. I know that when I follow their counsel, my life is blessed and I have seen my life change for the better when I choose to live in accordance with God’s will. I am thankful for this gospel and for the abundance of blessings the Lord has given me. I leave this testimony with you, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Sister Valarie Andrus

0 comments: