Part of my calling requires that I write a President's Message for the Relief Society news letter each month. Since these messages include my personal thoughts, experiences, and testimony, I've decided to post them to my blog since I plan on binding the posts into a book at the end of each year and keeping it as our little family history/journal. I thought these "tidbits" of info. might be of value to my children someday or even as great reminders for myself.
This month's message was a bit more difficult to write than the months previous. I am not a writer by any means but I struggled to decide what to write about "Mother's" (there is so much you could say!) So, I think I wrote about five other messages about mother's before I ended up with the following message. I just felt like this was the approach I was to take and I don't really know why. Maybe one day I will.
May 2008 Presidency Message
With Mother’s Day quickly approaching, my thoughts of course have turned to that of “motherhood.” An old Jewish Proverb states, “God could not be everywhere so he created mothers.” When I contemplate this statement I realize what a beautiful thought this is to know that He created women to act in His behalf. He chose us to be the ones to cuddle a newborn baby, to bandage up a scrapped knee, to sing a soothing lullaby, and to teach His little ones to pray reverently. What a precious role He has entrusted us with.
The sacred gift of motherhood has both its joys and its sorrows. Sister Sheri L. Dew stated in a 2002 Ensign article, “Some mothers experience pain because of the children they have borne; others feel pain because they do not bear children here.” About this Elder John A. Widtsoe was explicit: “Women who through no fault of their own cannot exercise the gift of motherhood directly, may do so vicariously.” Sister Dew continues to state, “For reasons known to the Lord, some women are required to wait to have children. This delay is not easy for any righteous woman. But the Lord’s timetable for each of us does not negate our nature. Some of us, then, must simply find other ways to mother. And all around us are those who need to be loved and led.”
The innate gifts of motherhood are not reserved only to those who bare children through their own womb. In fact, our Heavenly Father has instilled within each of his daughters the divine attributes of a mother. While the Lord has blessed me with a wonderful mother I have often times received that same nurturing love from a primary teacher, young woman leader, a visiting teacher, or a friend. I have come to believe that a child can have as many mothers’ as they need to help them grow stronger in their character, personality, and testimony. I am eternally grateful for the many mothers’ in my life who have been a great support and strength to me. I appreciate the wonderful examples they have been and continue to be in my life. My deepest gratitude is for my Heavenly Father who sent me to an earthly mother who loves me unconditionally. She has always been a beacon in my life, a true example of Christ-like love, and a great source of strength to me.
I testify that our Heavenly Father has blessed each of His precious daughters with the divine characteristics possessed by our Heavenly Mother. We will be blessed as we develop these gifts and utilize them to bless the lives of His children. When we act upon our divine role to nurture, love, serve, and sacrifice we will be acting in God’s behalf and will become great instruments in the hands of the Lord. I leave these thoughts with you in the beloved name of our Savior, even Jesus Christ, Amen.
Sister Valarie Andrus
Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Presidents Message - Motherhood
Posted by Anonymous at 10:29 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I always love to read what you have to say. Your amazing and you inspire me.
Val, that made me cry! You are truely inspired, and the lord has spoken his words through you! You are such an amazing role model, and I look up to you so much! Thank you for your sweet words, and your amazing testimony!
Post a Comment