Friday, June 13, 2008

Steve's Mission Call

Tuesday night (June 3rd) I received a call from Steve saying that I needed to be at the house early Wednesday morning because he was told that his mission call would be there. So, I packed the kids up and headed to mom's house. After tracking down the mail man,Steve was told that he had to wait until he delivered the mail to the house. After much suspense, the mail arrived the mission call was not there. Steve was so bummed, especially because he and Monica stayed home from the pioneer trek because he was told his call would arrive today. He called the church office building and they told him it was sent but may not arrive until the next day. So, rather than driving home the kids and I stayed overnight. Steve could hardly sleep all night, and early the next morning he was up playing the piano and looking out the window for the mail man.At 9:30, Steve came running into the house - it's here! He called all the family members and told them to hurry over.
He opened the call and could barely read the words on the page which stated...
Dear Elder Pitcher,
You have been call to serve as a missionary of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. You are assigned to labor in the Paraguay, Asuncion Mission. (Spanish speaking!!!)
Sincerely, President Thomas S. Monson
Mom and Dad have sent three other sons into the mission field and Steve is the last son to go. It was such a bittersweet moment, but we are so excited for Steve. He has prepared his whole life for this opportunity, and he finally reports to the MTC on August 20th, 2008. I hate the thought of him being gone for two years, but I am so proud of his decision and willingness to serve the Lord. He will be an amazing missionary!

We Love You Steve!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Val, I loved reading that post. Its been forever since anyone close to me got their mission call. Reading your post reminded me of all those times in the past. How fun for your brother! Spanish speaking too!

Anonymous said...

That comment is really from me, Nikki.

Beck said...

Such a cute story!!!

Tawnya said...

Oh we are totally going through that right now with my youngest brother. He was supposed to get his mission call today..but it didn't come..so tomorrow! He is the last of three boys to go too..so fun!

So good to see you last week!