Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving!

Every other year we host Thanksgiving Dinner at our house with Mike's side of the family. I was so excited to set the table with my new table settings. I made name cards into leaves to place on the pears. I arranged the flowers in my "special"vases and added fresh cranberries and orange slices to the water. I also did a special table just for the kids as well. By the time I finished getting everything together and cooking my part of the meal, I was so anxious to sit down and realized that I never took any photos of the family together! The one thing I am most thankful for is my family - and I forgot to take a picture of us all together! I was running on three hours of sleep and was already preparing myself for "Black Friday" shopping starting at midnight...so I hope I will be forgiven for my crazy absentmindedness. I love that we have this special day to spend with our loved ones and to remember all that we have been blessed with in our lives. As I was thinking about the abundance of blessings we enjoy, the thought crossed my mind as I wondered if a day will come in my lifetime when we will not have the abundant temporal blessings that we enjoy today. Will their come a day when we won't have a house full of family, leftovers to enjoy, and peace in our surroundings? I know this is a dreary thought, but it gave me reason to be grateful for what I have today and not to take it for granted. You never know if next years Thanksgiving dinner will have to consist of potato pearls, canned corn and turkey from our food storage. So even in this time of economic strife, I have much to be thankful for ... a beautiful family, a nice roof over our heads, plenty of food, clothing and especially the Gospel of Jesus Christ along with the guidance and protection of a loving Heavenly Father. Yes, we do have a lot to the grateful for on this beautiful Thanksgiving Day!
My little attempt at setting a "Martha Stewart" style table. (I'll make it better next year!)
The name cardsThese vases are special because one comes from an arrangement that I was given from my Grandpa Boyce's funeral. The other was given to me by my friend Serene for my Birthday last year, and the last one was from Mikey after we were married. A closer look.
This is an edible arrangement of fruit that my cute friend Sunny taught me how to make. Her's looks much better - but it still tasted great! Mikey - taste testing the turkey!
Uncle Tommy, carving the turkey.This is the centerpiece I made for the kids table so that they could color the leaves on their butcher paper table cloth.
Jax, Katie, and Kiley
Jackson had a lot of fun coloring the leaves on the table cloth.

7 comments:

Maughan"sters" said...

That is so awesome! I wish I had your energy :) I'm dreading the day I have to make my first turkey!
Happy holidays!

The Razon's said...

You are too creative! Way to go Val, it looks amazing! How did you find time to do all of that? Good job!

katie said...

way to go!!!

i may be a motivated person but NOT when it comes to cooking. being a hostess? yes
being the cook? no

:)

The Shelton Family said...

Val- It was so fun seeing you. Oh my you are so talented, and you have such an adorable family

ShaeMarie and Ryan said...

Wow! I am so impressed...what a beautiful thanksgiving you had! Thanks for sharing those ideas, that was like one good idea after another! You are a very talented woman!

Errin said...

Wow! Everything looks amazing. Good work.

Ryan and Tenneal said...

Are you Valarie Stewart? I am very impressed! the kids are adorable, I'm so glad I have your blog now.