Friday, December 24, 2010

Twas the Night Before Christmas...

I think this has to be one of my favorite memories and traditions as a child. Hearing my dad read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" in his German accent.  He started doing this when I was really little and one year randomly decided to make it a bit more fun, so he added his German accent to his narration.  My dad served an LDS mission in Munich, Germany, which is why he chose that accent and is also why we call him "Opa," (German for "Grandpa.") He reads it with so much excitement and humor that every kid would think he was the greatest story teller ever! For me, Christmas can't happen until I hear my dad read this story.  And he can't just read it normal - it has to be done with the accent!
Thankfully, my mom and dad came across these adorable books from Hallmark that allow you to record your voice while you read the story.  Now, as my kids turn the pages, they can hear my dad's voice as he narrates the book in his German Accent - Priceless!  A mental thought I never really allowed myself to have, was picturing the year that I would not be able to hear him read this story on Christmas Eve, because of the lump it puts in my throat.  Thankfully, this precious gift will allow me to pass this special tradition on from generation to generation, so that my posterity can enjoy the magical excitement on Christmas Eve that this provided for me. Even though I've learned to recite the story similarly to the way dad does, it's just not the same.  Having his voice recorded is something I'll treasure for years to come! In fact, something tells me that I really have no clue just how much I really will treasure this in the future.  I guess it's the little things that truly do matter the most in life.
So, of course I want to document this moment...but, needless to say, it wasn't that easy...
So, let's see how many pictures I have to take in order to get a descent one....
First Attempt -
Photographer: "Jax, smile please."
 Second Attempt -
Photographer: "Jax that is not a smile - that is a scary face. Kiley, don't squint when you smile please!

 For blogging purposes, I deleted attempts 4, 5 and 6.  Here's lucky number 7!
 After tucking the kids in bed, I came downstairs to find these two completely enthralled with their iPhones.  Maybe they are texting each other "Merry Christmas - Goodnight!"  LOL :)

0 comments: